Culture shock has never been so fun! 文化衝擊美那麼好玩過!

Solo Taiwan is a theatre company that loves to get lost in translation. Where ever you're from, where ever you're going, it's going to add to the conversation. We hope you'll spend part of your journey with us!

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Josh on Sunny FM 89.1 Josh周日(4/24)的電台訪問會16:00-17:00播


I was interviewed by Douglas Habecker (Editor of Taichung's Compass Magazine) for Sunny radio yesterday. The interview will air Sunday afternoon (April 24) from 16:00-17:00 (FM 89.1). Douglas is a wonderful host and made me feel quickly at ease and it didn’t take long before we talked up a storm. We discussed how Katie and I met (through Taichung Improv), our lives in Taiwan, the ups and downs and how we came up with the idea of Solo Taiwan. We talked about Pavarotti and the local Mafia (both which feature strongly in my play): Pavarotti because he chose Taichung as part of his farewell world tour and the mafia because Taichung is known as the gangster’s capital of Taiwan. (Gasp!) Oh yes, and that’s not all. Add a little bit of a love story and you have a winning combination for some intriguing drama and comedy. Tune in to Sunny FM at 89.1 on Sunday to hear the full story.
KT was unable to come down from Taipei (due to work obligations) so I discussed her play as well. Hope she’ll forgive me as I’m sure I might have added or left out important stuff. I did throw in “identity”, “language barriers” and “cultural differences”.  I might have even used impressive phrases like” bridging the cultural divide” “jin de ma?” and
“One day I will speak Chinese just like her!”
The other thing that I did make sure to include was that she’s the only  “foreigner” I know who eats and LOVES stinky tofu, which made someone come up with the remark that she’s a fake foreigner……Heavens! Fake foreigner! What does that mean?  Well in her play her character takes the very aptly named and totally hilarious FAT (Foreigner Authenticity Test). You’ll have to come and see the play to see whether she passes.
You can hear the broadcast live at 4pm tomorrow (April 24) online here:
Just click on the link, then click on "On-Line" on the left side of the Sunny891's home page.

1 comment: